Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Different Meals of the Day

                                                                  Spiced Chickpea Soup
                                                                     Date-Nut Bread
                                                                     Lunch <3
Okay, I got to make two new recipes today!  First of all, the first thing I ate today, was the third picture (Lunch <3).  It was the rest of the blackberries from the other day mixed with the Spiced Vanilla Granola; that was REALLY good!  Next, the first thing I made, was the second picture which was the Date-Nut Bread (recipe at bottom); earlier today my grandmother brought me to Whole Foods to get some things we didn't have to make the bread and soup.  While we were there, I got the pecans, chickpeas, some other things I don't remember, and Vegan chocolate chips :) (just for other recipes).  I only got the chocolate chips because this morning, I was watching Totally Delicious TV: Totally Vegetarian.  On the show, the woman made some Jamaican Tofu Jerk (http://delicioustv.com/2007/06/jamaican-jerk-tempeh/) with Rice with Toasted Vermicelli (http://delicioustv.com/2007/06/vermicelli-rice/) and Chickpea Salad with spicy lemon dressing (http://delicioustv.com/2007/06/chick-pea-salad-with-basil-and-pine-nuts/), and for dessert Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Cake http://delicioustv.com/2007/06/vegan-banana-chocolate-chip-cake/) (the cake had the (Vegan) chocolate chips, but you don't need those).  Anyway, the bread was amazing!  And the soup, I only had a sip, but my dad had it and said it needed to be thickened, so if you make it, add extra chickpeas to thicken it (my dad added rice before we saw we had extra chickpeas).  Also, my lunch was excellent too!  ;), here's the recipes:
Spiced Chickpea Soup- serves 4 to 6
  • 1 1/2 (Plus more to thicken) cups dried chickpeas
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 7 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil 
  • 2 cups chopped onion
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes 
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup chopped (fresh) flat-leaf parsley 
"Put the chickpeas in a 2- to 3-quart saucepan (or the pot you will cook the soup in) and add water to cover by about 3 inches.  Bring to a boil over high heat and boil for 2 to 3 minutes.  Remove from the heat, cover, and let soak for 1 to 2 hours.  Drain and rinse.
"In a large pot, combine the chickpeas, bay leaf, and 7 cups water.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the chickpeas are almost tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
"In a medium heat, warm the olive oil.  Add the onion, and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, cumin, coriander, ginger, and cinnamon and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.  Add the onion mixture to the chickpeas and simmer until the beans are tender, about 30 minutes.  Stir in the 1/4 teaspoon salt.
"Discard the bay leaf.  Transfer half of the soup to a blender or food processor and process until smooth.  pour the puree back into the soup pot.  Add additional water, if necessary, to thin the soup.  Add the lemon juice and more salt, if desired.  Stir in the parsley and ladle into serving bowls."
Date-Nut Bread-makes 2 loaves (20 slices)
  • 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I didn't have this, so I used probably 3 quarters of a hot chocolate packet; I drank the rest)
  • 2 cups chopped pitted dates
  • 1 1/2 chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted (to toast: heat a saucepan, then put the nuts in the pan and stir occasionally and shake pan too till a fragrance emanates from the nuts)
  • 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (doesn't matter about the old-fashioned) 
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar (I didn't have light, so I just put less brown sugar in; 3/4 cup)
  • 3 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup dark molasses (put less in if you don't want the taste to be too prominent)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
"Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder.  Stir in the dates, nuts, and 1/2 cup of the oats.
"In a medium bowl, whisk together the butter, oil, brown sugar, eggs, milk, molasses, and vanilla.  Stir the dry ingredients into the milk mixture with a wooden spoon just until combined.
"Lightly grease (or use parchment paper) two 8-by-4-inch pans, then dust lightly with flour.  Divide the batter evenly between the loaf pans.  Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup oats over the loaves.  Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick or paring knife comes out the clean when inserted in the center.  Let cool in the pans for 5 minutes.  Turn the loaves out onto a wire rack and let cool completely."
 (Goes well with cream-cheese.  BTW, my mom couldn't stop talking about how she had been craving Date-Nut Bread before she had me, and how she grew up eating Date-Nut Bread until the brand was discontinued.  No one in her family ever thought to get the recipe)  Also, when I was cutting the onion, instead of me crying, I felt depressed.  Strange right?  Anyway, one last thing.  A few hours ago I was practicing the piano, and while I was playing I Celebrate the Day by Relient k, I became frustrated and stopped halfway through the second to last page, and while I sat there, I started yelling at myself to keep playing and I kept trying to find reasons why I should keep going, until I found one: Berklee probably looks for students who don't give up, and they probably teach the students to keep going and not to give up on something you've already started.  (Such as a song), and I kept playing.  I finished triumphantly.  GOOD DAY! ;P BYE

No comments:

Post a Comment