Friday, July 8, 2011

Dance is the Language of the Body

Today is just like all my other days this past week, dance, boredom, daydreaming, and eating, but this blog I want to be about dance as much as possible because since this past week, and the coming next one are going to be my dancing weeks before Nationals.  Dance has taken over my life :). If you think about how many days I am dancing before Nationals, and the hours I am practicing, then you should get that I will have spent 21 hours dancing in all!  But wait!  I forgot I had one and will have another, private lesson for an hour.  That is now 23 hours plus me working at home!  By next Sunday I will be passed out on my bed with ice on my feet and legs.  Hehe.  (My legs are sore though, since we did crab-walks on our toes yesterday four times...When I got up this morning at my friend's house, I sat up on my knees and I cried out in pain!  Such a drama-queen *winks*)  Anyway, I have also been VERY dedicated to "So You Think You Can Dance" this season, so that show has taken over my TV life as well.  Yes, a lot of the dances have made me cry and there was one from last season that made me cry too.  It was these four men, and they were dancing the life-cycle of a boy, from the age of a toddler to an old man.  I loved the toddler version!  That one made me cry because it was so pretty and sweet and good!  Ugh, I can't find the video :(, I hope those of you who have seen the past season(s) will know what I am talking about...  Well, one thought that occurred to me today, was that dance seems to be, if not is, an act of celebration of the body.  The different movements you can do with it, the different things you can tell with it, all of these actions tell how dancers represent humankind.  Reels for instance, they can be very good party dances, and slip-jigs, they are graceful and silent.  The girl that was helping me during a private lesson said slip-jigs made her (or anyone I suppose really) feel like she was walking/dancing on air.  And it was true, it does.  Example of a Slip Jig.  As for Ceilis, my personal favorite form, is a group dance.  They can be simple, fast, graceful, and I find them very fun.  Holy crap! I was looking for a Fairy Reel (Which I did in my dance recital) and found the Glencar Reel which I am doing for Nationals! YAY!  Overall, Irish Dance has its own stories and voice too, even if you don't see Irish dancers using every fiber of their being in the dance, I can assure you that their whole heart is in it, and it is leaping to the very ends of their toes!  Dance is a gift, a lifestyle, and a tongue everyone can speak.  Maybe not well, but it would always be true.
"We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance."  ~Japanese Proverb
"Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance."  ~Dave Barry
"Dancing is like dreaming with your feet!"  ~Constanze 
"The truest expression of a people is in its dance and in its music.  Bodies never lie."  ~Agnes de Mille 
"Dancing faces you towards Heaven, whichever direction you turn."  ~Terri Guillemets 
"You can dance anywhere, even if only in your heart." 
"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals."  ~Charles Baudelaire 
"I am a dancer.  I believe that we learn by practice.  Whether it means to learn to dance by practicing dancing or to learn to live by practicing living.... In each it is the performance of a dedicated precise set of acts, physical or intellectual, from which comes shape of achievement, a sense of one's being, a satisfaction of spirit.  One becomes in some area an athlete of God."  ~Martha Graham, c.1953 
"The Last Dance" 

No comments:

Post a Comment